Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Power of the Coffee Maker

   What is it about the humble coffee maker that can make or break my day? The most horrible day in my memory is the day I got up, wandered into the kitchen and turned on the coffee maker as usual. I try to have to all set up before I go to bed, or I could have coffee sprinkled all over the kitchen. That particular day, I patiently waited the prescribed amount of time in which it takes to brew my usual half pot (2 cups) of Heaven.

   I stumbled into the kitchen and to my utter surprise, there was a cold and empty coffee maker sitting on my counter. It had died. I was extremely agitated, as it was a relatively new coffee maker. It was only a few years old.  So I had to get dressed, and head out to buy a new one, with absolutely no caffeine in my system.

   It turned out that it was easily replaced, but I got some looks walking around my local supermarket clutching the box to my chest. I must have looked desperate. To anyone who looked sympathetically at me, I told my sad story. Most people were very understanding of my plight.

   I brought the new coffee maker home, washed its parts, and made a pot of luscious chocolate goodness. I was saved. It is still a traumatic event in my life.

   At least the last coffee maker I was attached to announced in advance it was nearing the end of its life. I still look back fondly at that one! I truly wish I had bought another one of that brand, it was the best coffee maker EVER. It brewed the coffee directly into a carafe and actually told us when it was done brewing! It rang out five loud beeps. It was so awesome. I would get out of bed, start it, and go back to bed to snuggle with the Hubs. When we heard the beeps, we knew it was really time to get up.

   Unfortunately, I had paid lots of money for that pot. And at this point I can't afford to buy another one like it. But I do look forward to perhaps buying a similar one in the future. I can't wait to see what new things they have built into the newer models!

   Final thought: Perhaps at some point I should go and buy a back up coffee maker, as my current one is acting up on occasion. I think if it knew there was a replacement waiting in the wings, it might behave.  And maybe I could save myself an uncaffeinated shopping trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment