Thursday, January 19, 2012

Words Can Hurt


   Having lost friends in the past, I know from the emails that went back and forth that words can hurt. I think it’s especially hard when you don’t hear the voice saying the words. It’s impossible when you read the words, to know what tone the writer is using. You could easily imagine the wrong tone, say, sarcastic, when they meant the words as teasing.

   That’s why, when friends have a falling out, I think they should talk face to face. It is easier to end a friendhsip when you live far apart. Like with the friend I broke contact with a few years ago. She lives in another state, and it was easy to sever the contact. I never responded to the email that originally pissed me off. I tried, but couldn’t find the words, without sounding extremely bitchy, even to myself. So I never contacted her again. She didn’t contact me again, either. Maybe she realized she went too far, and said the wrong things to me.

   I, being a lover of non-frontation, rather than confrontation, am basically a chicken. When I was young, and even more naïve, I didn’t like the thought that possibly, someone doesn’t think well of me. Since then, I have grown up somewhat. I realize that you won’t always see eye to eye with everyone, and that people will come and go in your life. And it's not always your choice.

   It still makes me sad, however. And sometimes I wish that things could be different. To tell you the truth, I don’t miss that friend. I hardly ever think of her, except in negative terms. I find myself only remembering the negative things. And there are former friends that I don’t even think that much about.

 And then there are the friends that you lost contact with over the years, that social media, like Facebook, has allowed you to reconnect with. I am now in contact with more friends from high school than I ever thought possible! It is great catching up with them. Friends really enrich your life, and are precious, so keep that in mind. You love your friends in spite of their faults. And hopefully they can accept yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment