Friday, June 8, 2012

And the winner is....

     After starting the knitted project, I decided I didn't really want to do it, so I frogged it. It was only three rows, so I don't feel too bad. Then I began the crocheted blanket. That is what the yarn was telling me it wanted to be.


     As I mentioned, I have made many of these afghans over the years. No matter what the size, the stitch count is always the same. The way to change the size is with hook size and yarn weight. The pattern is written for a huge adult size afghan, using two strands of worsted weight yarn and an N size hook. I have made it that big, as well as child size, and sizes in between. The child size uses worsted weight yarn and a J or K hook. A baby size blanket takes sock or lace weight yarn, and an F or G size hook.


     It's my very favorite afghan pattern to crochet. Sometimes big projects can drive you insane from boredom, you just want it to end. Doing the same stitch over and over just makes you want to pull your hair out. That's why I love this pattern. There are only four rows of any given stitch in the pattern, then you do a different stitch for four more rows. If anyone is interested, the pattern is called Lace Panel. The copy I have doesn't even have the designers name on it.

    It was put out in a pamphlet by Leisure Arts years and years ago. There was a series of four pamphlets, all for N size hook afghans. They are out of print now. I know because I lost my copy of the one with the Lace Panel in it, and went to Michaels and asked for another one. They didn't have any, and told me they were out of print. I sent an email to Leisure Arts, begging for a copy, as it was my very favorite afghan pattern.


    They sent me a black and white photocopy of the pamphlet, since I was such a "loyal customer". I have been very careful to laminate this copy, and put it in a safe place. Even though I have the pattern memorized, I sometimes need to refresh my memory.


    Here are the promised photos of the progress I've made. The blanket is done long side to long side, so I laid it out that way.


And here's the close up:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment