Monday, September 19, 2011

In Which The Hurricane-Ghan Is Finished!

   Behold, all believers and non-believers alike! The seemingly never-ending hurricane-ghan is finished! I finally got to Michael's yesterday, and got two more skeins for the granddaughter's afghans, but Michael's had no heather gray! The whole Red Heart yarn section looked like Home Depot when a hurricane is coming! There wasn't much left. They must've had a big sale on the stuff. So I couldn't get my gray in Michael's.

   I drove up the plaza to Jo-Ann Fabrics. Lo and behold, believers, they had some heather gray! I bought my skein and left. I drove home a happy camper. For more details of my day yesterday, see yesterday's blog. I was busy all day yesterday.

   Today, Hubs left to go shoot pretty early this morning, so I got to hang out. I was supposed to go to Spinning Group... But I didn't make it. I didn't realize I had almost no gas. And I had no money with which to buy more, so I had to stay home. I had the hurricane-ghan all packed up in the Jeep, too. I was actually on my way there, just past South Cross Rd, when I looked down at my gas gauge. I turned around soon after that, but before heading home, I went to go see if Hubs would let me take his truck to spinning. He wasn't at Ti Yogi, so I decided to just make a quick stop at the store for half and half, and not bother the Hubs. He gets so little time to do what he enjoys, I figured he deserves some time to himself.

   When I arrived home, I finally got to sit down and crochet on the hurricane-ghan. It has gotten really heavy! I only had to do 4 1/2 rows, but it was a workout just to turn the thing when I got to the end of a row! At long last, it was done. But then I couldn't find my black sheep bag, in which I keep my scissors, tape measure, stitch markers, yarn needle, etc. So I still couldn't truly finish the afghan.

   I looked everywhere! There are only two bags I keep it in, my Barnes and Noble Messenger Bag, which I use for smaller knitting projects, or my "dead seagull outline" bag, from Hollister, in which I tote around my larger projects. It wasn't in either one, that I could find. Then I dug a little deeper in the messenger bag, and I found it. Again, a miracle occurs! And I was able to finish off the afghan, weaving in ends and such.

   Is it just me, or is it WAY easier to weave in those pesky ends in crochet projects? Whenever I do knitting ends, it's so much harder, because the fabric is so thin, that the ends don't look good no matter what you do! That is one reason I prefer to knit with wool, that way, I can spit-splice the ends together, and there are no pesky ends to weave in! Well, only two, the beginning, and the end.

   And when weaving ends into crochet, it's so easy! Especially in single crochet. Just weave the ends under and through the base of the stitches for a few inches, then turn and go back, making sure the yarn goes over one of the yarns it was under before. Does that make sense?

   So I find myself crocheting with acrylic yarn, since crocheting uses so much more yarn, and acrylic yarn is cheaper. Therefore, I usually knit with natural fibers, like wool. Because in knitting, the yarn goes so much further, you can afford to spend a bit more for the yarn.

   With all that said, I believe I am through lecturing for today. I'm really tired, and I want to go hang with Hubs for a while, I didn't get to see him much today. I will just need to keep reminding him that the football players on the TV CAN NOT HEAR HIM....
But after all, he is just a stupid boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment