Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Soreness and Shawl Struggles

   Yesterday, I began a very overdue but necessary task. I started de-stashing my clothes. Cleaning out my side of the closet, and emptying my dresser. Hubs brought me the dresser I had used when we stayed in Fishkill, his is already here and in use. So I get to clean out 21 years worth of stuff. It is more than overdue! The dressers we had been using were his when he was a kid. I even have his kiddie desk in my corner. Time for all of it to go!
  
   Today, I am very sore from all that bending over. Sometimes it sucks being so tall. So today I am going to sit and knit. Which brings me to the shawl struggle. The other day, I went to my daughter's house to visit with her, she was having her brother, her sister-in-law and their two beautiful kids over. I got to see my grandbabies!  A good time was had by all. My granddaughter Chloe and grandson Mason are getting so big! I can't believe Mason is nearly a year old already!

   Some time ago, Sara had told me that she would love a black shawl, to take with her to weddings and such, as she gets cold frequently at such functions. The dresses that she wears are mostly black. I agreed and began looking for black sock yarn. Not an easy thing to find! I finally managed to get some black worsted weight yarn from Lion Brand, that has a nice subtle sparkle in it. I also bought a pattern book by Sheryl Thies, Natures Wrapture, contemporary knitted shawls. I think I mentioned this book an an earlier post.

   I searched through the book, looking for inspiration. I found three patterns that I thought would suit her needs. After reading through the instructions, I quickly changed my mind on two of them. They were beyond my skill level. So now I have the pattern picked out, and started knitting! I was planning on taking the sample to her when I saw her that Sunday. In the meantime, I spoke to her, and she told me she had envisioned a triangle shawl. The one I was working on was a rectangle. So I started a triangle one too, using my standby pattern. I took both samples to her. She didn't like either one! She wanted a more loose, lacy shawl. She pointed out to me one of the patterns I had rejected as too complicated. I told her I would try. I tried and failed!

   Then I had a brainstorm. The rectangle shawl I had started was on tiny little needles. What if I used great big ones? Then it would be very loose and lacy! I started working on one for myself with yarn from my stash. It was working! I calculated I would need size 13 needles. As I only use circulars, and I don't have one that size, I quickly texted my knitting Guru friend, asking if she had a set I could borrow. Of course, she did! So on Friday at our Stitch n Bitch meeting, I will get them from her and begin yet another sample. Here's hoping she likes it!

    Just so you all don't think too badly of me, I am doing laundry today, despite the aching back muscles. I will also be washing some dishes later, but that activity usually ends up with aching back muscles! What will happen if I start out with aching back muscles? I will let you know. If I could have one wish, it would be to have my kitchen counters about two inches higher. Maybe just the one that holds the sink....

1 comment:

  1. YOU are the new knitting guru, figuring out the loose and lacy with size 13 circulars. I love the idea but what will become of the triangle and rectangle? Hope your back feels 100% today. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete