Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Today's Craft Update, and My Crafting Ethics

  Since I have finished all four Decker Family Afghans, I have returned my attention to my daughter Sara's shawl. It is getting really long, and I'm not sure how long it really needs to be. I figure at least six feet. It should be long enough to toss one end over her shoulder, right?

   The Decker afghans still need to be washed and dried, then I can pack them up and send them to Texas. I *always* wash and dry anything I make before I hand it over to the new owner. I like to make sure it washes and dries well! I think it would be unethical to give, or worse sell, an item without washing it first! I had an afghan I made in a yarn I had never used before. Thank the yarn goddess that it was just for us. It washed ok, but kind of melted a little bit in the dryer. It had been nice and soft, but came out kind of scratchy.  I can't even imagine how disappointed a customer would have been.

   I also always include item specific laundering instructions, like, Hand Wash Only. I can't even imagine someone spending good money on a hand wash only shawl, for example, and NOT telling them how to care for it! How pissed would they be, if they threw it in the washing machine and it got ruined? I would ask for my money back, wouldn't you? I want my items to be used and loved for years!

   I took some photos of the Decker Afghans, I put them on my king size bed one at a time, and snapped away. I wanted to give some idea of size, and orientation. It sounds simple, but I gave one of these afghans to someone, and she laid it on her child sideways. The panels go up and down. Anyway, here are the photos!

   This first one is for Gordie's wife, Rosemary.

This is the first of the two granddaughter afghans, the second wasn't finished yet when I took the photos.


This last one is the famous hurricane-ghan...


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful ethical craftswomanship! I love them all and I like the navy and brown colors in your bedroom! I had to laugh a bit about the melting yarn. I'm sure that was a while back when they were still importing yarn with melamine and lead in it from China. (A joke.)

    ReplyDelete