Monday, September 5, 2011

Marriage Advice and a Random Story

   I was not able to blog yesterday, I was busy all day, then spent the evening with Hubs. He tends to frown on my using the laptop when he's around. He has actually told me that he's sorry he ever got it for me! The nerve! This is only the second best present he's ever given me, in twenty two (nearly twenty three!) years of happily wedded bliss!

  The best gift ever was my Jeep, of course, Christmas of 2003, I think it was. I remember because we paid it off in December of 2008, seven months before we were laid off. One less car payment! Then we were able to pay off his truck when we re-financed our mortgage. No car payments!

   Anyway, that's not what I wanted to talk about today. I have a few little stories I thought of that I wanted to share. The first one is about marriage...

   Sometimes I am asked for advice by those newly married, or contemplating wedded bliss...  Marriage is a complicated thing. It certainly isn't easy, but it can be downright impossible if anyone entering into it harbors totally unreal expectations. To make it simple - Every marriage is different. You and your spouse make the rules for your individual marriage. What works for you will not work for everyone. For example: I learned very early in my relationship with my beloved that he is a total blanket hog. I would wake up in the middle of the night totally uncovered, and freezing, while he was completely rolled up in all the bed covers. In order to survive, I went to the closet and got out another blanket. We have had separate covers ever since! It works for us.

   Your relationship is not like anyone elses. Not your parents, not your siblings, not even like a previous relationship you may have been in! And for Goddess's sake don't make up rules without telling your spouse! He has to know the rules too! I am being gender specific here because in my experience, it's the females who have the weird ideas and fantasies of marriage, not the men. In this one way, they may be the more practical gender for once, and not being their usual "just stupid boys".

   Which segues nicely into another story! My friends daughter was very upset after Karate class one day, one of her fellow students, a boy, had been picking on her during class. I said to her, "Mellie, he's just a stupid boy!" to which she replied, "Thank you!!" in a loud voice. That has been our mantra ever since. Any time any male person does something dumb, or objectionable, we just look at each other and say, "He's just a stupid boy!" Even Hubs has been called that, and he laughs. It kind of fits all male persons, at one time or another, because sometimes they act like they never grow up!

   Well that's all I have for today. I have to go clean now. Enjoy your Labor Day!!
  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment